Terms and Conditions (“Terms”)
Last updated: August 25, 2016.
These Terms of Service (this “Agreement”) is made between you and Democracy Fund Voice (“Democracy Fund Voice”), under which you, the user, may use the democracyfundvoice.org website (the “Website”). By using the Website, you acknowledge and agree to the terms and conditions of use set forth below in this Agreement:
(1) Copyright; Your Use of Content.
- The Website is protected by copyright as a collective work and/or compilation, under U.S. copyright laws, international conventions, and other copyright laws. The contents of the Website (the “Content”) are only for your personal, noncommercial use. All materials contained on the Website are protected by copyright and are owned or controlled by the Website or the party credited as the provider of the Content. Unauthorized use may violate copyright, trademark, or other laws. To avoid unauthorized use, you:
- must abide by any and all additional copyright notices, information, or restrictions contained in any Content on the Website;
- may download and make copies of the Content and other downloadable items displayed on the Website only for personal, noncommercial use and you must maintain all copyright and other notices contained in such Content; and
- may not copy or store any Content for any purpose other than personal, noncommercial, unless you have obtained prior written permission from Democracy Fund Voice or the copyright holder identified in the individual Content’s copyright notice.
- If you are a copyright owner and believe that material on the Website infringes your rights, please provide an official notice in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act by certified mail to the address listed in Section 14 of this Agreement.
(2) Additional Restrictions on Use of Website. You will not upload, post, or transmit to or distribute or otherwise publish through the Website any materials that:
- restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Website;
- are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, offensive, pornographic, profane, sexually explicit, or indecent;
- constitute or encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate law;
- violate, plagiarize, or infringe the rights of third parties including without limitation copyright, trademark, patent, rights of privacy or publicity, or any other proprietary right;
- contain a virus or other harmful components; • contain any information, software, or other material of a commercial nature;
- contain advertising of any kind; or
- constitute or contain false or misleading indications of origin or statements of fact.
(3) Representation and Warranty With Regard to Age. You represent and warrant that you are at least 13 years old.
(4) Personal Information. By providing personal information, posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication (individually or collectively “Communications”) with or to the Website, you hereby grant to Democracy Fund Voice a perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, unrestricted, nonexclusive, royalty-free license to use, copy, license, sublicense, adapt, distribute, display, publicly perform, reproduce, transmit, modify, edit, and otherwise exploit such Communications, in all media now known or hereafter developed. You hereby waive all rights to any claim against Democracy Fund Voice for any alleged or actual infringements of any proprietary rights, rights of privacy and publicity, moral rights, and rights of attribution in connection with such Communications. Democracy Fund Voice may monitor your use of the Website and may freely use and disclose any information and materials received from you or collected through your use of the Website for any lawful reason or purpose.
(5) No Confidentiality. You acknowledge that transmissions to and from the Website are not confidential and your Communications may be read or intercepted by others. You acknowledge that by submitting Communications to the Website, no confidential, fiduciary, contractually implied, or other relationship is created between you and Democracy Fund Voice other than in accordance with this Agreement.
(6) Commitment to Data Security. To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, Democracy Fund Voice has put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information collected on the Website.
(7) Changes to the Website. Democracy Fund Voice may change, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Website at any time, including the availability of any Website feature, database, or other Content. Democracy Fund Voice may also impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the Website without notice or liability.
(8) Limitation of Liability. Democracy Fund Voice is not liable for your use of the Website (including without limitation the content and any errors contained therein). Democracy Fund Voice is not liable for any damages (including without limitation incidental, consequential, or punitive damages, lost profits, or damages resulting from lost data or business interruption) resulting or arising from your use of, or inability to use, the Website, or sites linked to the Website, whether based on warranty, contract, tort, or any other legal or equitable theory, and whether or not Democracy Fund Voice was advised of the possibility of such damages.
(9) Indemnification. You will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Democracy Fund Voice and its affiliates, and all of their directors, officers, agents, employees, legal advisors, information providers, licensors, and licensees (collectively, the “Indemnified Parties”) from and against any and all liability and costs incurred by the Indemnified Parties in connection with any claim arising out of any breach by you of any term of this Agreement, including without limitation attorneys’ fees and costs. You will cooperate as fully as reasonably required in the defense of any claim. Democracy Fund Voice reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you and you may not in any event settle any matter without the written consent of Democracy Fund Voice.
(10) Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website, including all content, software, functions, materials, and information made available on or accessed through the Website, is provided “as is.” To the fullest extent permissible by law, Democracy Fund Voice and affiliates make no representation or warranties of any kind whatsoever for the content on the Website or the materials, information, and functions made accessible by the software used on or accessed through the Website, for any products or services or hypertext links to third parties, or for any breach of security associated with the transmission of sensitive information through the Website or any linked site. Further, Democracy Fund Voice and its affiliates disclaim any express or implied warranties, including without limitation noninfringement, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose. Democracy Fund Voice does not warrant that the functions contained on the Website or any materials or content contained therein will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that the Website or the server that makes it available is free of viruses or other harmful components. Democracy Fund Voice and its affiliates are not liable for your use of the Website, including without limitation the content and any errors contained therein.
(11) Site-Content Disclaimer. Democracy Fund Voice does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement, or other information displayed or distributed through the Website, and Democracy Fund Voice disclaims any and all responsibility for content contained in any third-party materials provided through links from the Website. You acknowledge that any reliance upon any such opinion, advice, statement, memorandum, or information is at your sole risk. Democracy Fund Voice reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to correct any errors or omissions in any portion of the Website at any time.
(12) User-Content Disclaimer. Democracy Fund Voice does not and cannot review all materials posted to the Website by its users, and Democracy Fund Voice is not responsible for any such materials posted by users. Democracy Fund Voice reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any law, regulation, or government request, or to edit, refuse to post, or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, that in Democracy Fund Voice’s sole discretion are objectionable or in violation of this Agreement.
(13) Third-Party-Resources Disclaimer. The Website may contain links and pointers to other related Internet sites and resources and to sponsors of the Website. Links to and from the Website to third-party sites do not constitute an endorsement by Democracy Fund Voice or its affiliates of any third-party resources or their contents.
(14) Administrative Provisions.
- Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Democracy Fund Voice and you with respect to your use of the Website. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this Agreement, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, that provision must be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of this Agreement, and the remainder of this Agreement continues in full force and effect.
- Changes to this Agreement. Democracy Fund Voice reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, modify, add or remove any portion of this Agreement, in whole or in part, at any time. Notification of changes in this Agreement will be posted on the Website.
- Choice of Law; Jurisdiction. This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Delaware without regard to its conflicts-of-laws provisions. Sole and exclusive jurisdiction for any action or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement is in an appropriate state or federal court located in Delaware. Any cause of action you may have with respect to your use of the Website must be commenced within one year after the claim or cause of action arises.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us.
Effective Date: May 25, 2018
Personal Information We Collect
Democracy Fund Voice collects your personally identifiable information (“PII”) through the Websites when you choose to provide such information, such as when you (i) register to be on our mailing list, (ii) access various content or features, (iii) or directly contact us with questions or feedback. Democracy Fund Voice also collects your IP address and web log data. Please do not disclose more personal data than is requested.
Use of Personal Information
We will use your PII only (i) to provide you occasional updates about Democracy Fund Voice, our partners and affiliates, and our work and events that we think might interest you; (ii) to operate and enhance the Websites; (iii) to address any questions or feedback you submit; (iv) to perform research and analyses, or for other internal purposes to improve the quality of our work; or (v) as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent. If you provide your email address, we may send you emails. Where required in the relevant jurisdiction, we will obtain your consent before sending you promotional emails. If you wish to opt out of emails you receive from Democracy Fund Voice, you may do so by following the “unsubscribe” instructions in the email.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Disclosures to Third Parties Assisting In Our Operations. We may share your PII under confidentiality agreements and any legally required data processing agreements with other companies that work with, or on behalf of, Democracy Fund Voice, such as those who are providing email or mail solutions, providing cloud hosting services, analyzing data and usage of the Websites, or providing support and maintenance services for the Websites, as well as legal, regulatory, audit and other professional advisors. These companies may use your PII to assist us in our operations or for our legitimate business interests. However, these companies do not have any independent right to share this information.
Disclosures Under Special Circumstances. We may provide information about you, including PII, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal processes or governmental regulations or inquiries, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims. We believe it is necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or as otherwise required by law.
Retention of Personal Information. Democracy Fund Voice will retain in accordance with its data retention policy your PPI only for as long as is reasonably necessary to achieve the purposes for which it is collected.
Automatically Collected Information and Anonymous Information
Each time you visit the Websites, Democracy Fund Voice collects some information to improve the overall quality of your online experience.
Aggregated Data. Democracy Fund Voice collects aggregate queries for internal reporting and also counts, tracks, and aggregates the visitor’s activity into Democracy Fund Voice’s analysis of general traffic-flow at the Websites. To these ends, Democracy Fund Voice may merge information about you into aggregated group data. In some cases, Democracy Fund Voice may remove personal identifiers from PII and maintain it in aggregate form that may later be combined with other information to generate anonymous, aggregated statistical information. Such anonymous, group data may be shared on an aggregated basis with Democracy Fund Voice’s affiliates, business partners, service providers and/or vendors; if it does so, Democracy Fund Voice will not disclose your individual identity.
Web Server Logs and IP Addresses. An Internet Protocol (“IP”) address is a number that automatically identifies the computer or device you have used to access the Internet. The IP address enables our server to send you the web pages that you want to visit, and it may disclose the server owned by your Internet Service Provider. Democracy Fund Voice may use IP addresses to conduct Websites analyses and performance reviews and to administer the Websites, although it will not combine traffic data with user accounts.
Web Beacons. Some of the Websites’ web pages may use web beacons in conjunction with cookies to compile aggregate statistics about Website usage. A web beacon is an electronic image (also referred to as an “action tag,” “single-pixel,” or “clear GIF”) that is commonly used to track the traffic patterns of users from one web page to another in order to maximize web traffic flow and to otherwise analyze the effectiveness of the Websites. Some web beacons may be unusable if you elect to reject their associated cookies.
Response to “Do Not Track” Signals
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the user communicates, although web browsers incorporate and activate this functionality in different ways, and it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted. There currently is disagreement, including among participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organization, concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. Democracy Fund Voice currently does not take action in response to these signals, but, if and when a standard is established and accepted, we may reassess how to respond to these signals.
Children’s Privacy Protection
Under Age 13. Democracy Fund Voice does not knowingly collect or retain personally identifiable information about persons under 13 years of age. Any person who provides their personal information to Democracy Fund Voice via the Websites represents that they are 13 years of age or older. The Websites do not knowingly solicit or collect personally identifiable information online from children under the age of 13 without prior verifiable parental consent. If we learn that a child under the age of 13 (or such legally required higher age) has submitted personally identifiable information online without parental consent, we will take all reasonable measures to delete such information from our databases and to not use such information for any purpose (except where necessary to protect the safety of the child or others as required or allowed by law). If you become aware of any personally identifiable information we have collected from children under 13, please contact us through our contact page at email@example.com.
Under Age 18. Minors under 18 years of age may have the PII that they have provided to us through the Websites deleted by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting deletion. Please note that, while we make reasonable efforts to comply with such requests, deletion of your personal information does not ensure complete and comprehensive removal of that data from all our systems and back-up systems.
Privacy Settings/Opt Out/Changes/Access
You have the right to request that your PII be removed from our database, changed or updated, and can do so by contacting us at email@example.com. If requested, we will promptly verify, amend, and/or delete your account and you will no longer receive emails from Democracy Fund Voice. Your removal from the mailing list or database will not remove records of past transactions or delete information stored in our data backups and archives where we are required to keep your data for legitimate business reasons or to fulfill any legal requirements. Data on past transactions and data stored in backups and archives will be deleted in the normal course of our business. You have the right to access or, if required by applicable laws, receive a copy of your PII held by us by making a written request by sending an email to the contact link below.
In addition, you have the right to make a complaint to the relevant supervisory authority in your home country if you have concerns about Democracy Fund Voice’s handling of your PII.
Democracy Fund Voice understands that storing our data in a secure manner is essential. Democracy Fund Voice stores PII and other data using reasonable physical, technical and administrative safeguards to secure data against foreseeable risks, such as unauthorized use, access, disclosure, destruction or modification. Please note, however, that while Democracy Fund Voice has endeavored to create a secure and reliable website for users, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to/from the Websites or via e-mail cannot be guaranteed.
Website Visitors from Outside the United States
Supplemental Privacy Notice for Job Applicants
When you participate in Democracy Fund Voice’s job application process, we will ask you to provide personal data such as: your name, email address, mailing address, and telephone number; your resume/CV, and cover letter outlining your work experience, educational history, and skills.
Please do not send us any sensitive personal data such as government-issued ID numbers, financial information, photos, or dates of birth. We do not need or want that data in a resume.
We may receive personal data about you from other sources, your references, prior employers, a person or company/organization authorized by you to submit an application on your behalf, and/or publicly-available sources.
If Democracy Fund Voice makes an offer of employment, we will ask you to authorize us to obtain a consumer report or consumer investigative report. If you choose not to provide this authorization upon request, we will not be able to offer you employment.
In order to comply with federal law, all persons hired by Democracy Fund Voice will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
In addition, we will ask you to voluntarily provide information regarding your gender, veteran status, ethnicity, and disability status. This information, or your decision not to provide this information, will not impact your application in any way.
Use of Personal Information
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may share your personal data with service providers (including recruiters) that assist us with recruiting, application, and employment processes and our affiliates and other third parties with whom you might work if you are offered and accept the job.